2010-02-19

I thought everyone was going to die, says Salifou


Salifou Moustapha-Togolese Midfielder Photo:Sky Sports


Togolese international midfielder Moustapha Salifou yesterday said that he thought everyone was going to die after their national team bus was shot in Cambinda ahead of the just ended Angola 2010 Africa Cup of Nations.

Several players were wounded including their goalkeeper Obilade Kossi and their coach during the attack.

"It was terrifying. The goalkeeper, (Obilade Kossi -- who was seriously wounded) had been dancing and the press assistant was taking pictures of him. They were shot," he was quoted in  the Daily Mail online .

"I didn't feel I would make it off the bus alive. I thought everyone was going to die."
Salifou, further said that he did not sleep well for about four days since he was just recalling that horrendous incident.

"Since I've been back, I've not slept for four days," said the Aston Villa star

"When I do, I wake up at 3am or 4am and somebody is shooting at me. I'm trying to forget, but it's difficult."
Former Swiss side FC Wil player then went further to depict how the incident happened.

"We were travelling through a forest when people started to shoot at the coach," said Salifou, who was a key figure when Togo qualified for their first ever World Cup finals in 2006.

"The attackers shot the driver. After two or three minutes we lay on the floor and everyone started crying.
"We couldn't see anyone shooting because of the forest. It was difficult to say how close they were. After two minutes, we all lay on the floor and I was protecting myself.

"We shouted to each other every few minutes: 'Are you okay? Are you okay?' "Our security guys started firing back and then one of them boarded the bus and told us not to scream. If we screamed they would know we were still alive.

"We had to be quiet. Everyone started praying while shots flew over our heads and blood was on the coach floor."

However, Togolese government was given a four year ban for interfering football matters which is against the law- but Salifou said he was shocked with the news and he thinks this was so because Togo is a small country.

"If we had returned to the tournament, there were going to be no sanctions against Togo," said Salilou.
"Now they CAF say we have a four year ban".

"They treat us like they have because we are a small country. If it had been Cameroon or the Ivory Coast, nobody would say they are banned from two African Cup of Nations.

"Have we been picked on? Yes, I think so. If the crime had been against Cameroon or the Ivory Coast, they would never have played the tournament.

"When it is a small country like Togo, it is not the same, although I believe we are appealing the decision."

No comments: