2010-01-27

“I did not learn anything from Angola,” says Peter Mponda







Malawi national football team captain, Peter Mponda who led the squad to Angola 2010 Africa Cup of Nations yesterday said he did not learn anything from the competition.

His remarks comes barely two weeks after he announced his retirement from international football matches..
 “Nothing I have learnt from Angola. What I only saw that in Malawi we have talent and (if we continue) we can go far,”  said Mponda.

When asked why he came up with the decision of retirement Mponda said he has done his part and its time to give chance to the new blood.

“Ummm! honestly I feel [like] I have done my part. I have run my race and I just thank God for the time he gave me with the flames,” he added.

On his future plans after retirement from international football, Mponda said “ I will concentrate on club football.”

Some  flames fans condemned the captain due to dim-witted mistakes which led the team to concede more goals. But on answering to this question the Flames skipper said:

“That is there take. I am the first captain from Malawi to get a victory in Africa Cup of Nations finals and teams want me cause of the football I played in Angola. So I won’t be moved with what people say.” 

“They pay their DSTVs to watch football [so] they have the right to say what they want,” he added.
So when asked how if the Malawi coach, ask him to change his mind and continue to play in the team ,Mponda said he has already made his part and he can not change his mind.

“I am sorry I do not work on what if. Lets say what if we won against Angola- the thing is
I have done my part. I  said I want to take the team to Angola and  I just did that. It is the time [for new blood ] to lead the flames,” Mponda said.

Mponda who also plays for Black Leopards in South Africa said things are going well with his club.

“They are promising. I hope and pray that next year I will be in Premier Soccer League (PSL),” he concluded.

No comments: